Monday, July 26, 2010

Club Monaco's Mannequins


There has been a buzz about the new Club Monaco mannequins as of late and I thought I would take a stab at addressing the issue. It seems there are a lot of Fashionistas/Style Lovers out there who are appalled by the emaciated figures that the retailer has their clothes in. With collarbones, shoulder blades and spinal cords being shown in their most bare effects, people are afraid this will provoke more girls to have body issues/feel uncomfortable in their skin.

I am really thrown off my the uproar over this. I get more easily agitated with the women who walk in the flesh down the runway looking like they may tumble over or pass out, not the mannequins/plastic version of the female form. Ever since Kate Moss said, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" I have looked at models different. It is because of this issue I was so elated when Marc Jacobs had women with boobs walking down his Fall 2010 runway in Paris for Louis Vuitton and why I am so enamored with Christina Hendrix. Look people, real women eat food - sorry guys - and therefore they have something under their skin called fatty tissue and muscle. Models may not need this to survive, but we do. So, I suggest that rather than make a big deal of plastic forms - who by the way do not have heads either so clearly they are not real - we go after those who are the flesh and bones version of these mannequins. And by go after I do not mean cause a scene or personally attack, but follow the lead of Marc Jacobs and Christina Hendrix and just continue to make small strides in the efforts of creating a healthy body image for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment